Batteries and Bladders, Adventure #7


Going down to the library is a (pardon the expression) “no-brainer” scoot--reasonable distance, predictable terrain, no charging issues...a short jaunt.  So I confidently take off.  Usually, I lose one to two green dots on the second to the last hill going home.  It’s a steep hill and I expect significant slowing, but it’s only about two miles, albeit uphill, from the library, and a further mile home.  No need to worry about adequate power or need for a bathroom stop.
Battery Indicator
About a fourth of a mile from the library, the scooter begins to lose green dots in a location I’ve never lost power before.  I’m thinking it might be better to take a less steep route home.  It’s all uphill, but there is uphill and UPHILL.  The less steep route has more traffic, but since I have the time, I’ll just be slow and cautious.  My one hour jaunt stretched to two hours.  I usually keep a close eye on the charging dial, but since there was no choice but to head home, I decided to just cross my fingers, keep my eyes straight ahead and not even watch the diminishing power.  What good would panic do?  Was there someone at home to call?  No.  Could I charge somewhere?  No.
Another annoying sensation crept into my awareness.  I thought, “Tam, you’re 62, you’ll get home eventually and there are people you can call if you really get in trouble, but you have to PEE!”
What if I do have to call for a pickup?  Who’s going to let a woman who just wet herself get into their car?  No one I know...
I did eventually make it home under my own power and remained continent (Allah be praised), but I opened the garage, scooted up to my walker/rollator and headed directly into the bathroom (I would have run if I could have)--scooter power on, cell phone music on, helmet on, and sunglasses on.  Earl came home while I was in the bathroom and met my opening door with my now off cell phone.  “Did you forget this?” he said, “and you left the scooter on, the garage door open and your helmet on.”.  Now I could have said a lot of things--none of which were very nice, but I just mentioned the cell phone not being a priority and he got the picture.  We’re not talking about an oblivious man here.
Later, relating the premature power loss story to my friend Barbara, she said offhandedly, “Maybe it was the heat...”  It was 90 degrees that day.  “Oh yeah”, I thought.
Today’s lessons:  Heat may matter, adversely effecting scooter power, and never skip a bathroom stop--ever--for any reason--never.

Comments

  1. Hi Tammy

    What very interesting adventures you have had on your scooter! I think you have been incredibly resourceful, but it probably has created just a few concerns for hubby Earl -- "what will she do next!!". Looking forward to your next scooter installment. XOX from your Vermont Barbara.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

We have contact

Resume and Update

East Coast Roadtrip