End of the Maui Trip

The challenge in Maui was to find a scooting route that had little traffic (difficult) and was out of the Hawaiian tradewinds to avoid the blowing red dirt in our eyes (never happened).  It was fun to go with Earl and our friends on their long morning walks, rather than stay home and wait for their return.  I can maintain a brisk walking speed, but not a running speed.  I managed the local swap meet without careening into anyone (Skeeter has good brakes).  It was also nice not to have to put insulating layers of clothing on like I do in Portland.

One of our treks took us down into a wash where I needed to scoot on thin wood boards someone had laid down over the deep sand (love that small footprint and big rear tires).  Skeeter only fell off the boards once, but since I was with three capable pushers, we made it to terra firma pretty quickly.  Sometimes it’s best not to think abut a route too much; just do it.

It had been so easy flying with Skeeter on the trip over,  I was waiting for the other shoe to drop coming home.  But no.  I scooted to the gate, took my rollator to the plane door and left it (they usually check it with the strollers), latched on to Earl's shoulders, found my seat and settled in.  On arrival in Portland, we waited for the rollator so I could make my way up the gangway and patiently wait for Skeeter.  No rollator appeared, but they actually carried my 75 lb. scooter up the stairs instead!  Someone’s back had to hurt on that one...(guys, you really don't have to do that) but, I scooted up the gangway, into the Passenger Waiting Area, retrieved my rollator, and again we were able to get out of the airport in record-breaking time.  A sigh of relief...except for the experience of dropping from 84 degrees (Maui) to 44 degrees (Portland); at least it wasn’t raining.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We have contact

Resume and Update

East Coast Roadtrip