Audiobooks: another kind of friend


I didn't think I could indulge in one of my favorite past times and scoot too, but I can.  One day, Skeeter and I were out, music from my IPhone blaring, when it came to me.  Since I was an audiobook addict, I could as easily "risten" to a book as well as play music while I scooted.  I could even scoot to a park, sit under a tree and switch from music to a book!  Maybe I'm not the brightest crayon in the box, but things come to me eventually.  As with music, I have to make certain any audible book content meets the appropriate criteria.  It can be like reading out loud, but headphones help, preventing you from disturbing or offending people.
Disclaimer:  I never use headphones on a moving Skeeter.  It's nice to be read to, but I need to use all my remaining senses for a safe scoot.

My addiction to audiobooks began with the nystagmus (fluttering eyeballs) common in Ataxia.  I don't know if SCA causes me to lose visual focus from optic nerve involvement or fatigue, but it does keep me from reading my favorite long books.   I confine conventional hard-copy reading to magazines and newspapers.  But, now I can relax on either a moving or stationary Skeeter, be read to and not worry about my "dancing" eyes. 

Interestingly, audiobooks represent a gain, rather than another loss, from Spinocerebellar Ataxia. Always an avid reader, I've been able to increase my reading volume (more books in the last few years than the last 50), explore different book genres (illuminating history, interesting non–fiction, frivolous crap), and gain some familiarity with authors and their body of work.  I'm never alone as I always have a book with me (new friends).  I can read and exercise, fold clothes, drive, get stuck in traffic, wait for appointments, etc.  Anytime I encounter a potential "time-waster", I turn on an audiobook (waiting rooms, cars, planes, airports) and have become much more patient.  I actually get cranky when I have to turn my book off and respond to a question.  "Now, don't be rude, Tam," I chide myself.  "You made the appointment".

When insomnia strikes at 3 am and I don't want to toss and turn, worry about being awake, or disturb a sleeping husband, I can "plug-in" quietly to an audio device (CD player, IPod, IPhone), in the dark.  Either I fall back to sleep or make progress on a book.  Usually, I fall asleep before the timer shuts the device off (a sleep timer, single headphone, and low volume protects my hearing).  The disadvantage is that the "plugged in" status isn't always obvious to someone wanting to engage you in conversation.  Fortunately for me, Earl "plugs-in" as well, so we've learned to ask and not take unresponsive silence personally.  Not only does listening to audiobooks with headphones inhibit conversation, it also blocks out sound as well (a mixed blessing).  I have visions of Earl being on a trip and an intruder murdering me while I am "plugged in", because I didn't hear him break in.  If that were to happen, Earl could always write a mystery–The Case of the Audiobook Murder. 

Audible.com has an IPhone App (of course there's an app for that) which lets me download books to my phone and treat it like an IPod.  I keep a book or two loaded on it for those times I leave my IPod at home.  Although I have both an IPod and an online subscription, audiobooks are expensive. I go the online library and check out as many downloadable books as possible.   It's free and it keeps my addiction cost under control.  As mentioned in previous posts, the local library is a common destination, so I can combine two enjoyable activities–"ristening" and scooting.
Lake Oswego Library


The lesson:   There is the occasional benefit that comes from adversity. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We have contact

Resume and Update

East Coast Roadtrip