Family Vacation 2012–the beach house

As our annual family vacation approached, Earl asks, "do you want to take Skeeter or your trike?"  It was only to the Central Oregon Coast for five days.
"Both.  We can load them in the van and, being inanimate, they won't argue about sides, who's touching who or ask if we're there yet."


Tammy, the turtle
Parking lots work
The first day there, it was just Heidi, Michael, Sarah, and Kyle and bike riding was the activity of the day.  We had always gone to Central Oregon where bike riding was a major deal–not so on the coast.  Parks everywhere–not a decent bike path in sight.  But since six-year-old Kyle was breaking in a new bike, a big parking lot would do.  The setting was beautiful and between a dune and a lake–hard to complain.  Besides, I'm used to going around in circles and fortunately, the grandchildren are still biking at my speed and skill level. They're also at that great age where everything is fun–that's not going to last for long.


Jason, Elizabeth, Zoe, and Lexi came the next day and then we were ten.  Oregon has 40 miles of sand dunes, the biggest outside of the Sahara desert.  It's truly an amazing sight–ocean, beach, sand dunes, lake, forest.  The challenge for me was to find ways to participate with the grandchildren that didn't solely involve my trike, Skeeter, or an iPad.  When the family went paddling on the lake, I opted out. When they hiked the dunes,  I opted out. Sea lion caves, I opted out.  I have enough trouble on flat terrain (boats, caves–I don't think so...).  Bumper cars and miniature golf?, I opted out on general principles.  
Better they than me

A stay in Florence requires the mandatory dune buggy ride.  Being able to sit upright, not feel claustrophobic when tightly strapped in, and not being plagued by nausea; I figured this was one activity I could do with the family.  They actually had a dune buggy that could take all 10 of us while providing a medium thrilling ride.  The next concern was to not frighten children ranging from four to nine.  We didn't know they were adrenaline junkies in training.  They loaded me in first (another humiliation bullet), then the rest of the family, and took off over the dunes.  The kids "woo-hooed" all the way and I didn't throw-up (proud of myself).



While the children and grandchildren played miniature golf, Earl took me out for a scoot.  They don't make scooter tires big enough for a dune, so going up one wasn't an option.  We were only out for an hour and stayed on the inland side of Hwy. 101, but it gave me a chance to explore the environs and smell the sea air without filling my nose with sand.   

So how did the family vacation go this year?  Great house, uncommonly beautiful weather for the Oregon Coast, cooler than Central Oregon, different geography than usual.  No injuries, fights or tears–among the adults.  Next year?  Central Oregon–and I want to take both the trike for biking and Skeeter for...whatever...


The lesson: The Oregon Coast is beautiful, the weather was exceptionally wonderful, but it's still the Oregon Coast and I was cold!

Comments

  1. Hey Tammy - It sounds like great fun and valuable time spent!
    Fascinating, too, I didn't realize the factoid about the OR Coast dunes relative to the Sahara.
    What a thrill to participate in the group dune ride! You'll never forget those times!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your 2012 summer vacation story. Looks like everyone was having fun. I loved the goggles you all wore for the dune buggy ride. I enjoyed seeing the kids and grandkids in the photos -- and of course, you and Earl too. xox

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

We have contact

Resume and Update

East Coast Roadtrip