A Little Help from My Friends: Blog vs. Book

One of the best parts of blogging is posting and then getting feedback–any feedback, from readers.  Like most people, I prefer positive remarks, but I'll take anything. Even negative comments give me food for thought.  I'll post and then wait to hear–thumbs up or thumbs down, out of the ballpark or barely out of the dugout.  I know I shouldn't care what anyone thinks, but there is still that girl in me who wants all A's. 

Blog feedback
"Are you talking about me?"
"I don't get it."
"Good quote.  I can relate..."
"I never thought of it that way..."
"I don't think of it that way..."
"You never know where you might find an idea."

Blogging gives me a continuous opportunity to correct and clarify.  Because of reader input, it's a rare post that looks or reads the same five days after first appearing online.  Toward the end of the conversion to book, I was too close to be objective.  Once the blog became a published book, it was a done deal; I had to live with it as is.  I ended up being pretty happy with the result.

Book feedback
Friend:  After reading your editor’s words, I am (I’m) afraid of contractions and using semi–real words.  Probably not supposed to go dot…dot..dot…….. either, right? (uh–oh…the wicked witch part of you is thinking, 'Like I care?').
Tammy:  First of all, my blog is clearly evidence that I can't give up my contractions and semi–real words.  I tried..., but it just never felt right or sounded like me.

Friend: Why did you choose to refer to Earl as your spouse instead of your husband?  
Tammy:  Grammerly.com said it was more current and inclusive.  Don't get me started.

Friend:  Isn't it Oliver Wendell HOLMES?
Tammy: My original source for the dedication quote was incorrect.  I said the same thing when I first read Oliver Wendell.  I thought, "They must have meant Oliver Wendell Holmes".  But because it was in print, I assumed they were right and I was wrong.  That will teach me not to google it.

Friend:  My point (in the who-asked-you-department) is that your story stays focused…it is all so in–the–present. In my mind, I kept thinking, why didn’t she insert this anecdotal story from her past right here? There is none of the woman, athlete, person, nurse…yadayada (probably not a permissible word) that “I” used to be…that was inline with the concept of your book’s intent.  I agree that how one learns to cope (no matter the nature of the loss), manage, or adjust is an uphill struggle. We all used to be someone younger, thinner, poorer, smarter, prettier, more athletic and for sure with less lines and perkier boobs.  I used to be so much of a cheerleader of my own past life and accomplishments…and who really cares now? Absolutely no one.
Tammy: As you said, not focusing on what used to be was deliberate.  'Used to be' was definitely part of my grieving process, but not focusing—deliberate.

Friend:  About your cover photo.  A helmet should be level and cover your forehead.
Tammy: Gee, that never occurred to me.  Let me write that down.


My greatest concern about going from blog to book was being redundant (why buy the cow when the milk...yadayada)  I feared that blog readers might have a sense of "been there, done that."  I did reorganize the content based on the publisher's recommendations (that had its own set of issues) How's the book? post, but it made sense and was a major improvement.  Scooter Sagas was originally a blog, after all.

Friend:  Your story was so familiar to me.  Even so, the book is still an interesting READ.
Tammy: As someone so familiar with the journey, the blog, and the early emails, I'm glad to hear that the book didn't feel too repetitive.

Friend:  I sat down and started reading your book.  I was just going to skim because after all, I've read your blog all along.  I really enjoyed reading it as a book and read several chapters before I put it down.  I think it reads better as a book.  I like the continuity.

Friend:  It really didn't feel the same because the blog was written over time and there was a lot of space in between readings. 

Friend:  I liked the graphics better in the blog.
Tammy: Me too, but the amateur photography wasn't bad and there was no concern about publishing rights.

Friend:  I would have liked more pictures in the book.
Tammy: In retrospect, I wish I had included more photos and taken better quality ones.

Friend:  The book is the same as the blog–right?
Tammy: Not quite.

Friend:  The blog is free.
Tammy: Uh. Yes it is.

Re: the grandchildren
Friend:  When you called Sarah 'Cindy' early on, I wondered if you were using pseudonyms for your grandchildren.  Later, I saw that you were.  Good idea!  How do they feel about that? 
Tammy: It was security–conscious Jason's suggestion to anonymize as much as possible, given that the blog used real names of people and places.  The grandchildren actually have fun with their book names. I haven't seen teasing yet, but they do giggle. However, I couldn't follow through and use pseudonyms in the dedication.  Earl also thought using fake names there was strange.



The lesson: Nothing is private.  Heidi says I'm the 'Taylor Swift' of blogging (if that's confusing, ask a girl between 8 and 18).  Anything a reader says, asks, or emails is fair game and likely to end up as material.

Comments

  1. Hey Tammy - I like the format you chose for this post, ie. broken up into sections, made it seem conversational and very entertaining! I know it's more challenging, but it's a fun way to write and great for a blog read.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

We have contact

Resume and Update

East Coast Roadtrip