End of the Road Trip: Part 5 of 5


Family
Friends
You don't always have the luxury on a trip of alternating 'sights' with 'visits', but we did.  I was surprised by the difference that made.  It's always nice to see friends and family, but it also provided a break from the anonymity of being a tourist.  Sure, it was fun seeing new things and places, being together (blah, blah, blah), but a meal or home with familiar faces added to the entertainment factor and made the long trip more manageable.  I think it also contributed to marital harmony just by virtue of having someone else to talk to.  While a couple of visits came during the 'sight' phase of the trip, most were in California and on the way home—the 'visiting' phase. We even met up with a first cousin of Earl's that he hadn't seen for nearly 60 years.

Audiobooks–a great way to travel
As planned, audiobooks were our primary car entertainment.  We managed to find books that appealed to our divergent literary interests and made the road miles fly by.

The Reagan Library
I had discovered early on*, that museums are usually interesting and quite "scootable".  When Earl's brother and wife suggested a field trip to the Reagan Presidential library in nearby Simi Valley, we agreed. Earl whispered sotto voce to me, "At least one of us voted for him."  Although I usually like museums, I didn't think this one was going to be my cup of tea.  However, I learned something about presidential libraries that changed my perspective.  My political affiliation didn't matter.  Presidential libraries usually have great views, great architecture, are well done, and well funded.  True, they are overt tributes to an individual, but I found myself putting aside my concern for spent resources and just took in a piece of history.  While I wouldn't go out of my way to see another nor put the remaining fifteen librairies on my bucket list, I would certainly visit one if it was within striking distance.

Ashland
Guys 'n' Dolls, Much Ado, Tam
Our last stop on the way home was for entertainment purposes.  Ashland, Oregon has a Shakespeare Festival February through October.  We've been there before and try to go on a regular basis.  Southern Oregon and Ashland in particular, is lovely. The Shakespeare festival productions are professional and enjoyable. We saw two plays in one day.  One was contemporary, Guys 'n' Dolls and one Shakespearean, Much Ado About Nothing interpreted in a present day setting.  Once again, Skeeter, Earl, and ADA** allowed me to get into and out of the theater and enjoy the productions.

The lesson:  There is no place like home

*Previous post: What happens in Tucson...
**Previous post: Road Trip With Disabilities: Part 2 of 5



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We have contact

Resume and Update

East Coast Roadtrip