I Need To Get Out More


I was so proud of myself. With the help of Skeeter, I was on top of the modifications in my neighborhood and maintained a level of outdoor activity*.  So when Earl suggested that I join him and our friend on a Saturday morning walk in downtown Portland (my old stomping grounds),  I enthusiastically accepted.  Holy crap!  Times they are a–changing.  While I was staying up with suburban Lake Oswego, the Portland downtown had undergone significant growth in the last year.  I knew the metropolitan area was experiencing a population increase, but the development took me by surprise and made it seem much more urban, dense, and (gulp) less affordable.
Warehouses to apartments

From the early 90s, a group of us ran in the downtown area on a regular basis.  The group had dwindled down for both geographical and physical reasons.  One couple relocated, walking was preferable to some, and I was now on a scooter instead of my feet.  But, we were still moving somehow, somewhere—just verbally and physically noisier (groan, creak, squeek).

Athletic Club to apartments
 I knew my athletic club was not long for this world, but I wasn't prepared for its demolition and level of condominium replacement.  Across the street, there used to be a large parking lot, then rail road tracks, and finally a restaurant on the river. Currently under construction, it will become apartments on the river.  Our running route took us past warehouses, fields, and the occasional abandoned building.  It wasn't picturesque, but it was familiar and became our routine.  In the last year, the area went from industrial space to gentrified living.
Restaurant to apartments

Gentrification has its dark sides (primarily affordability), but the ADA requirements for the development code makes scooting more doable than in the past.  Back in my running days, I never thought about transitions from gravel, grass, railroad tracks, and dirt to pavement.  Running, hopping, and stepping over obstacles went when my balance went.  Being on a scooter is different.  Now, avoiding a fall is my daily goal. Good sidewalks and handicap ramps have become my new friends.

The People's (and scooter) Bridge
Areas that had homeless people were now grassy pathways, highrise condominiums (more) and had artwork.  Portland is a city of bridges, but it recently completed the Tilikum Crossing Bridge.  It only allows cyclists, pedestrians and public transit–no cars.  Because it was new, I was confident that it was ADA compliant.  I couldn't walk the 'hood', but Skeeter and I could scoot.  We crossed west to east and then east to west.  Earl and Susan aren't fans of an out and back route, but they indulged me so I could view the new building from the east side and west side.

The lesson: We're not in Kansas anymore, Skeeter.  Backhoes, construction cranes, and apartments—oh my!

* Previous post: If you build it, they will come

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We have contact

Resume and Update

East Coast Roadtrip