Hello Up There


Years ago, I was at a professional reception with Earl.  A man was there using open cuff/arm crutches and persisted standing, when he clearly was fatigued and needed to sit down. I wondered about that, but now I get it.  He wanted to be part of the conversation.  I accepted very early on that it's an able–bodied world.  But I needed to appreciate and adapt to the 'uprightness' of it as well.

From the time I started using Skeeter, I learned another lesson about the nature of being disabled.  In many social settings, a mobility–impaired person is below eye/conversation level, either in a wheelchair or a motorized scooter.  Since I no longer use a walker, I am perpetually at belly button level.*  That often means looking up in order to feel part of the action.

Have stool, will perch
If there is a bar stool, I'll climb up on it by any means possible.   No matter how awkward I look or how long it takes, it puts me at conversation level with everyone else.   I even climb on the stools at the Apple Genius bar, although Earl does have to be the stool back.  Staying in a wheelchair among techies pretty much guarantees that I will be considered cognitively impaired.  Having fallen off bar stools before (sober, but off–balance), I tend to be cautious and usually require some help avoiding an untoward event.  A person with disabilities falling off a bar stool anywhere really upsets people.

The Schuman table
The table is my favorite location.  Not only is there usually food , a place to put a wine glass  , but most of my companions are choosing to be at my level.  Nothing would be worse than to have people feel the need to bend down or sit down beside me out of courtesy.  I'm happy to make a space and wheel up.  It looks more dignified than climbing.

Actually, my wheelchair (Thelma or Louise**) is an even better choice than Skeeter in many settings.  A motorized scooter puts me a bit higher than some restaurant tables. Although I tend to loom over people, I can always lean over and not look so 'above the crowd'.  Wheelchairs are already at uh...'chair height'.
Looks cool, but a bit hazardous

Sofas and low surfaces at coffee table height seem comfortable and homelike, but are just a disaster waiting to happen for the furniture and me.  I have enough trouble preventing spills and don't need additional reaching challenges.





The lesson:  Whether climbing up on a bar stool or sitting at a table, I'm working on 'leveling the playing (or talking) field'.

*Previous post:  I'm Going To Disneyland!, paragraph 3
**Previous post:  New Wheels: The 'girls'

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We have contact

Resume and Update

East Coast Roadtrip