Hi, I'm Tammy and I'm a Tech Gadget Addict

I never thought I'd be 'that kind of person', but I am.  Early technology adopter can be a nicer term than junkie...whatever.  I've made no apologies for loving my smart phone and have modified some persistent anti-social habits (I'm more likely to silence my customized phone sounds).  Still my 'tech gadgets' have helped me cope with the progressing deficits that accompany my ataxia.  Now, they enable me to be rude and distracted as well as disabled.

Apple watch
I had considered the wearable smart watch attractive, but redundant, unnecessary, and the start of a 'slippery slope'.  As I thought more about it however, the concept of unnecessary never stopped me before and I started down that slope a long time ago.  In an effort to justify a change in attitude, I considered the ways a smart watch would enhance safety for a person with disabilities.  I wouldn't be tethered to my phone, checking whenever a text or email came in.  I could discretely 'glance' at my wrist to decide how urgent the message and respond with one of several pre–programmed answers (Can I call you back later?).  I can make and answer phone calls (ala Dick Tracy)

People who spend most of the day in a wheelchair are prone to all the health hazards of a sedentary lifestyle.  The watch 'taps' me every hour to stand without saying "Get off your ass!" If I were alone, unable to reach my phone, and needed help, I could have Siri text my important contacts.  "Mom down..." and get an appropriate response.  I don't know why, but Watch Siri understands my slurred speech better than iPhone Siri. Then there are fun, animated emojis that you can't easily get on a smartphone.  Well, it entertains the grandchildren as do the variety of watch faces.
Grandchildren are such good excuses to play





















When I saw the toilet nightlight, I knew two things.  One–it would help with my frequent bathroom trips in the middle of the night.  Two–Earl would be unable to contain himself.  I think that was the time I decided to take whatever ridicule came my way.  Now, I can just 'go toward the light' at 3 am, hit the target, and barely wake up.

Email from me to family and friends: 
Here is the link to my nightlight (I did include it). Reminds me of a swimming pool. I have already taken a raft of s*&t for the day.  Save yours for another time.

Email from friend: I can't wait to 'dive in' and learn more about this.  Color preference?

Me:  Very amusing.  I prefer the turquoise, more like a swimming pool.  Earl suggested red, white & blue for the 4th—jerk (but funny).

Lumolift
Spending so much time at the computer, my once good posture sucks!  I wanted to avoid the 'Senior Hunch' common to both men and women (head forward, shoulders rounded, slouching position whether sitting or standing).  Enter the Lumolift and more ridicule.  Another 'wearable' toy, it reminds me with a vibration to 'Sit up straight' whenever I slouch for a set time.

Email from me to family and friends: 
When I bought this gadget, I hoped I could do everything without telling Earl and getting laughed at, but no such luck.  I had to ask for some tech help and, sure enough, he laughed.  I will say however, I am getting used to that.  I am bonding with my hi tech nag. The reminder is more like a cell phone vibration than a cattle prod.

Friend: All issues aside, does it work?

Email from me:  Yes, it does.  Just like mom.

Now, when we travel, I need to think about our charging needs, the appropriate connector and pack accordingly.  Our two iPhones, my watch, the Lumolift, and our wireless headphones all have unique (of course) charging docks, but connect via USB.  Trouble is, often Earl and I are competing for limited power plugs.  It's embarrassing when adults argue about turns and trip/roll over cords trying to beat each other to the last power outlet.

The lesson:  Give it up, Tam.  You are that kind of person.

*Previous blog: The Road Trip: Part 1 of 5
**Previous blog: Technology–Unintended Consequences


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We have contact

Resume and Update

East Coast Roadtrip