March On!



It's no secret that my political views lie to the left of center.  This post may well offend some more conservative friends, but it won't be the first time. 
The 'March for Our Lives' was important to me, but I was concerned about my limited mobility.  I needed Earl to get us there and he strategically parked halfway between the start and the finish.  It wasn't too far before the three of us reached the gathering multitudes and was also easy for us to return to the car at the end.

Have scooter, will march
Venturing forth in a large crowd when one has a disability and views people at waist level has its disadvantages.  In fact, it can be downright hazardous both for me and those in the crowd.  I learned in Disneyland to keep your eyes straight ahead, pay attention, and move with the crowd*.  I was relieved not to have been involved in any mishaps.  Fortunately, I had Earl and granddaughter Zoe to blaze the trail, but I did manage to score Earl's heel twice.




Activists–in–training

 As at Disneyland, children and strollers abounded.  Granted, the march organizers were teenagers, but I found myself marveling at the babies and children of all ages everywhere.  Nothing like the safety of youth to get people riled up. Parents dressed their munchkins for the cold.  Although adverse weather threatened, it neither rained nor snowed.  However, Earl and I had just returned from Maui 24 hours before and weren't yet used to the multiple clothing layers required in the Northwest.  I thought for sure that Spring would have arrived by the end of the month—but no.


Signs & songs & grannies, oh my!
Probably all the demonstrations featured some pretty creative signs.   But the Portland march had some great ones and that turned out to be a fascinating part of the morning as well.

The lesson:  I wasn't the only mobility impaired person there.  As with everything, activism is more work and takes a village, but it's doable. 

*Previous post: I'm Going to Disneyland!

Previous post: Getting Out the Disabled Vote

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

We have contact

Resume and Update

East Coast Roadtrip