Life in the Time of COVID: Delegating Christmas 2020


Being in Maui the first couple weeks of December and then going back in early January  definitely shortened the holiday season.  Given the COVID restrictions, I was prepared for that. What I didn't see coming were all the well-meaning suggestions I received to:

"Just forget the holidays this year.  With the pandemic and all..."

"A big tree is too expensive to bother with for two weeks."

"If you have a tree, maybe this might be a good time to get an artificial one or a smaller one."

I looked around and responded, "You must be talking to the lady in back of me."*

Assured that the comments were indeed intended for me, I thought, "OK it's maybe only a two week Christmas, but it's still two weeks."  I needed to separate out what was postponable from what brought me joy.  After all, it's not as if this was my first rodeo.  I could still plan, make a list, and delegate, delegate, delegate. I had the Christmas routine down.  Used to relying on my holiday elves**,.  It was time to take it to a higher level and perhaps give up some (gulp) control.

COVID did mean that I didn't have my usual grandchildren elves.  Consequently, I had to give up the idea of the setting up the holiday village for this year. That was postponable until next year.  But, I could cope.

So, I set about making a list and checking it twice.

JJ and his elves
The first challenge was the tree. Fortunately, JJ could pick it up bring it home and set it up while we were in Maui.  Having been with us for three prior Christmases, he knew my preference for a big tree.  Crazy maybe, but he came through for me.  

Think there are enough lights?
The tree was ready for Jill, the lighting elf.  After putting on over 1000 lights, the tree really didn't need the usual ornaments.  I could give that up as well (just take a deep breath).


Now the house was ready for Pam, the décor elf.  We had already decided on a simplified, green and white theme.  As usual, it was festively lovely.

Our staircase, dining light fixture 
& seasonal green
s


The hall poinsettia, dinette & wreath









The house was festive enough and when I returned from Maui, I was ready to revel.  I had met my goal of being happy.  My holiday elves probably were as well to have me in a different state.  This "delegation" thing was working.  

Earl and I scheduled FaceTime calls with the grandchildren to watch them opening their gifts. Not the same as in past years, but not bad.

Then what to my wondering eyes should appear, but a new holiday elf– in costume.  Nope, it was Earl, wearing his Santa pajama top, getting ready to deliver seasonal cheer and his traditional, homemade cinnamon rolls to the children.

What's the worst part of Christmas? Cleaning up. Since we were headed back to Maui (I know, I know) January 3, I delegated that as well.  JJ took down the tree, chopped it up and put it in the yard debris bin.  Pam came and dechristmased the house.  Finally, Sandie vacuumed and returned the Christmas paraphernalia to storage.  When we returned to Lake Oswego at the end of January, there was no sign of the holidays. And that's how it's done. Now that's really holiday joy!  I need a nap now.
 

*Previous post: The Holiday Dictator

**Previous post: The Holiday Elves

The lesson:  Where there's a will, there's a way even when you're a holiday dictator, transitioning to a holiday delegator.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We have contact

Resume and Update

East Coast Roadtrip