Life in the Time of COVID–Staying Connected


Disclaimer:  We had no idea what was coming down the road in early March.
COVID–19 has affected so many parts of our lives, that I decided to treat it like our road trip–separate posts.  Coming attractions?  Rule following, Home maintenance, Coping, Grooming, Travel (yes, really)...




I didn't appreciate how much Skeeter would help me in figuring things out in the early days.  Our first effort was the driveway happy hour at the end of February.  True, there were only three of us, but it was fun
catching up with our next door neighbor.  I rode down the driveway and perched on Skeeter.  Earl was able to carry both his chair and my wine.

Next came a collection of March birthdays.  I customarily have a March baby birthday party, but that was not going to happen in the usual way.We were, however, able to have a small garage gathering while FaceTiming with a friend who had a February birthday.  Different, but doable.  We were starting to get the hang of this "new normal."

My friends and I could still go on our walks around the neighborhood. It was fascinating to see the level of deconstruction and rebuilding.   New houses, new looks, new parks, oh my!  The hood was changing once again**.








Like many people, I joined the video conferencing world.  Zoom Happy Hours, Google Meets meetings, Fundraisers...I found myself connecting more than I ever did face to face.  Mostly because I wanted to see people and partia
lly because my social calendar was not very full.
FaceTime allowed us to connect with our Seattle family, who, coming from Washington state, were being cautious and protective of Earl and me.  At the end of June, we drove to Olympia, they drove down to Olympia, and we visited for a few hours at a state park. They probably weren't as excited as we were, but they humored us as "elders".  It wasn't ideal, but it was pretty darn good.


Of the many things to be grateful for as good weather approached, was the opportunity to be outside.  Knowing that winter was coming, we decided to take full advantage of our backyard.  It's an accommodating area for social distancing in the era of COVID–19, separate seating areas, a gazebo and a pool that attracts the North American migrating grandchild.  We can invite family and friends for coffee, dinner, wine, etc.  We can minimize risk while obeying all the rules. 


I was surprised at how much staying active and staying connected were related.  Earl had previously enjoyed going to the gym, whereas I followed a more home–based routine***.  Skeeter has always been a big part of that.  These days, however, Earl doesn't go to the gym.  He has now become my instructor in floor–based yoga. The pool and its exercise potential has become my gym.  I do still have to wear a swim mask, but it's a very different thing. It facilitates lap swimming, keeps me from drowning and doesn't infringe on my constitutional rights (you just couldn't let that one go, could you Tam?). Earl has his designated rule–following exercise buddies.  Long walks and bike rides with "friends in the bubble" help him maintain his fitness and preserve our marriage.  A win–win for both of us. 
  






The lesson:  Staying connected and active these days takes more effort, but they're even more important than before.  Besides, what else is there to do?






Comments

  1. Your posts always brighten up my day. You are one of my favorite wordsmiths!! Hugs to you

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

We have contact

Resume and Update

East Coast Roadtrip