Out of Power--Adventure #3

Down Timberline

So, we bought Skeeter the first of June with a bigger battery.  I ventured out, tackled the worst hills, scooted down to Lake Oswego and back, met some people--I had it nailed.  One morning, I decided to scooter down to LO, shop, go to the bank, library and scoot home.  Now, I always make sure Skeeter charges overnight and is ready in the morning.  This morning, I was certain I had plugged the scooter in the previous day and that the only reason it was unplugged was that Earl had helpfully disconnected it before leaving for work.  To make a long story shorter, I was heading home on the last hill when I realized I was out of battery power.  “Suck it up, Tam.  Call a neighbor and admit you need help.”  I called my neighbor Shauna and had her standby for emergency pickup, but I was pretty certain I could putt home eventually.  I discovered the scooter recovers a bit on flatter terrain and that gives you about 10 more feet.

Timberline & Knaus
While doing that, an elderly gentleman came out and asked if I needed help.  “You know, I really am out of power and if I rest the scooter a bit, get up to Knaus Road, it’s all downhill.  But thanks.”
Timberline and Knaus road--so close!
“Would it help if I pushed?” he offered.  I had one thought-- “OMG!”  That’s all I would need--an elder bailing me out (fine) and then dying from a heart attack (not even close to fine).  But he would not be dissuaded from rescuing this damn foolish damsel.   He pushed (effectively) to the top of the hill where Beth, another neighbor, was watching for me.  I could hear my elderly hero breathing heavily (now you’ve done it, Tam) and he said, “I think I’ll just sit down here and take a breather.”  I thought silently, “There’s an idea.”
Beth couldn’t talk him out of helping, so she had to be satisfied with thanking him.  And the rescuee?  I scooted downhill as fast as I could go, hoping I didn’t cause injury or death, but not checking either.  I waved thumbs up to Shauna and her son Michael as I scooted by their house.  She followed me and glue gunned a yield sign on the back of the scooter.
This time, I really mean it.  I promise to have a healthy respect for the hilly terrain of Lake Oswego and never to take battery power for granted again!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We have contact

Resume and Update

East Coast Roadtrip