Battery Hygiene? Adventure #8

OK, maybe it was me, the heat or the full moon, but Skeeter just wasn’t right.  The battery ran out of power when it shouldn’t, Skeeter was slower than she used to be, the battery discharged alarmingly quickly, and we couldn’t go where I wanted without wearing Depends.  I miss my new friends!  They probably think I’m road kill somewhere.  Three and a half months isn’t very long.  Did I break her?  I tried to be a good mom...

So I call the place where we bought her and, in good troubleshooting mode, the sales person asks me if I’m using good battery hygiene.  “Seriously?”  I said.  “Do you mean do I wash the battery (no) or practice safe sex (Hell no).  Or do you mean do I charge it every night (absolutely).  My primary concern–was I fully discharging it after every use (not sure, should I?).  

In anticipation of my appointment, I used, then completely discharged, then fully charged for a week.  You’d think I was taking Skeeter in for a blood test or a Pap smear.  Thursday arrives, Earl and I brought her in like anxious parents, and the diagnostic load test did show that, indeed, the battery was weak--I didn’t break her after all.  Best of all, I was within the warranty period (for a change).  

I’m waiting now for the new batteries to be shipped from the manufacturer.  I want Skeeter in good shape because...At the end of October, she is taking her first plane trip to Maui–that should be interesting.  How, why, you ask?  First, all airlines take any mobility device for free without it counting toward checked or carry-on luggage. Second, renting in Maui for 7 days was $160.00; you need to pick it up and return it; they tend to rent bottom of the line scooters.  Third, I'd rather have my own for as long as I'm there.  I've been advised to scoot up to the gate, no disassembly, take the key out, put the scooter in "Drive" and leave it.  It's a big leap of faith, but we'll see how it goes.

Today's lesson:  When acquiring any new piece of equipment (computer, smartphone, vehicle)--use it, use it, use it.  If it's going to fail, it's likely to fail within the first 50 hours of use and maybe within the warranty.

Comments

  1. Wow.....good job!
    How do you get her to Maui?
    Sounds like you really are doing
    better than OK! Love to read
    your blog! Sharry

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

We have contact

Resume and Update

East Coast Roadtrip