Skeeter's Nicer To Me

I like my scooter more than my Wii Fit balance board.  Skeeter doesn’t lecture me when I miss workouts--”too busy to workout yesterday, Tam?”  She doesn’t criticize my balance–“a little shaky, today?” I argue back, “Seriously Wii, ya think?”  She doesn’t remind me that my weight is up, down, whatever...”did you reach your goal, Tam?”   Most importantly, she doesn’t brand me with a Wii fit age.  Even though I intellectually know it’s all computerized and impersonal, I still respond to criticism like a teenager.

Once I sit down on Skeeter I can relax, knowing I won’t fall and my body won’t get in my way.  One of the hardest things to get used to is the inability to efficiently get out of my own way.  My feet, boobs, hips... don’t move with a casual sidestep or dodge like they used to.  Movements that I never gave a thought to like getting in and out of a car, opening a refrigerator, door or pantry take forethought and several carefully orchestrated steps.

But, back to Skeeter...She wouldn’t care if I gained 20 lbs or if my butt was the size of Montana.  The Wii Fit does, my tricycle does (too much personification?) and, if I lost the strength to go out to the garage and get into Skeeter, I would.  So, I have to admit that, while scootering is easier and more fun, the Wii, the weights, yoga and the trike are more critical.  Arrgh!

One thing I actually do while scootering, is wrap an exercise band around my legs above the knee and see how many abductions I can do between points when no one is around (it looks strange). A friend asked what the band was and when I told her, she said lovingly,"You know, you're crazy!" It’s not the first time I’ve heard that, but it makes me feel like I'm doing something to prevent montana butt. So, I take the verbal abuse from the Wii, try not to argue back to a computer game, and move on.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We have contact

Resume and Update

East Coast Roadtrip