Skeeter Goes Hawaiian

One month prior to Skeeter’s first plane trip.  It was important to us to be responsible travelers, early, prepared and as little bother as possible.  After googling Hawaiian Airlines’ policies, I proceeded to gather as much information as I could.

My email
We are taking Hawaiian Airlines flight 39 from PDX to Kahului, Maui 10/28/2011 and have reviewed and printed out all Hawaiian Airlines regulations regarding motorized scooters. There is no assembly/disassembly of the motorized scooter required. I will scoot to the gate and leave the scooter intact to be rolled onto the plane. A standard airline wheelchair from the gate to the plane door would be helpful. I can walk to my seat with assistance from my husband. On arrival in Kahului, I will wait for my scooter at the gate(prepared to be patient).

I thought that was helpful, direct and simple.  The seller had recommended that we remove anything breakable, not to do any disassembly, take the key, put the scooter in neutral(roll mode) and go.  This sounded easy, but I wanted confirmation from Hawaiian Airlines’ that this was what they wanted as well.  Now, I understand personnel costs, cutbacks, the efficiency of automated computer responses and I was fully prepared for this response:

Hawaiian Airlines’  email: 
Aloha! Your answer may be available on our online help pages: (Didn’t I say I had done that?)
•Traveling with Infants (Not that)
•Digeplayer Entertainment System (Not that)
•Special Services - Wheelchair / Oxygen (Close, but not that, either)
The next Hawaiian Airlines’  response;
Aloha Tamara,
Wheelchairs, motorized scooters, walkers, crutches, Segways*, canes, braces, portable toilets, and other device, equipment or items which assists customers' with their disability will be accepted as cabin baggage or checked baggage. You should identify your assistive devices at the time of check in so that the airport representative can determine whether the transportation of the assistive device is free of charge. HawaiianAirlines may ask customers to bring instructions as well as their own tools to help disconnect the battery. If you will need special assistance to handle the assistive device,please be adviced the to bring the operating manual or special written instructions for your Assistive Device.  (OK, I can do that, we’re getting there...)

I decided it was best to ignore the redundancy (they’re just trying to help)--until I got the same automated response eight times!(take deep breaths, Tam).  I just wanted to know if I was to check Skeeter at the ticket counter or the gate.  Is there anything else I should do to make the process go more smoothly.  Can I speak to someone?  Anyone?
Ataxia hasn’t yet claimed my speech, but it has affected it;  I don’t do lengthy discussions–too much work.  But when Earl tries to help me out, there’s not a phone number on the website to be found.  My revised airport strategy is to check in early, smile a lot, print out the long trail of circular emails, all the Hawaiian Airlines’ helpline instructions, take the owner’s manual, take 2 copies of their information form and hope for the best.

What did they say at the ticket counter?  Go to the gate
What was the reaction to my punctuality and extraordinarily sweet nature?  Next person in line...
What paperwork did they need?  None
Was there concern about two assistive devices (scooter and walker) free of charge?  Nope 
Were there any special security procedures?  None
What mechanical attention did the scooter require at the gate?  None
Was there a standard airline wheel chair waiting in Kahului?  Yes
Was Skeeter brought up to me, intact and fully functional?  Yes

It was clear the airlines had way more experience with motorized scooters than Earl and I did.  We were out of the airport in record time.  I’m not going to assume every travel experience will be this trouble free or that all gate agents are as accommodating.  At least I can relax knowing it can be done with minimal effort.

Comments

  1. So glad things are going well and.....it is so FRUSTRATING to
    not be able to talk to a person. Yes, they don't publish
    their phone numbers for a reason....they don't WANT your
    calls!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

We have contact

Resume and Update

East Coast Roadtrip