Dueling walkers




Winnie
Ugh! more progression, albeit gradual, of my ataxia.  The short, nocturnal treks to the bathroom were nerve-wracking for both Earl and me. Being picked up off the floor was getting old and it was time for a more forgiving walker.  I loved my 3–wheeled Winnie Rollator, but for all her convenience and portability, I now needed more stability.  The primary mission was to be less prone to falling.

My friends gave me back the walker my dad's wife had used.  It was foldable, but still too heavy and big. The trouble with a conventional four–point walker in the house, is that it's difficult to go through doorways without hitting the door jam.  I have one upstairs I use when I navigate the room or work out on the Wii–Fit, but I don't need to go through a doorway, so it's width is not an issue.  The web–based, virtual shopping trip was on (you've got to love technology).  
Walker over Wii–fit
 
I found "Let's Go Indoor Lightweight Walker Rollator" and ordered it because it was the most narrow four–point walker I could find, inexpensive, and lightweight.  When it came, I kept going back to the familiarity of Winnie.  OK, I over–personify...sue me.  
The newcomer

Gradually, I became accustomed to using the new one in the house and relegated Winnie to the garage and car.  It seemed to be a good solution while I got to know the newcomer.  It was a bit higher, forcing me to stand more upright. Using a walker fostered my "senior hunch".  If my mother could see my posture now, she'd roll over in her...ash tray. The advantages of both using a four–point walker and having an indoor/outdoor arrangement soon became clear.  I could use Winnie when out and about and that helped me not feel so unfaithful.

But three major pluses that I hadn't given much thought to, became evident. My carrying pouch on Winnie was a long reach down.  The new pouch was higher and much easier to reach.  Although Winnie came with a small tray, I had to choose collapsability or carefully install the basket/tray combo.  The new walker came with a bigger tray that just sat on the pouch or lifted up easily for stashing things.  It never occurred to me that tray size was important, but the larger tray allowed me to carry more (dishes, laundry, food) than before.  The most significant benefit of the new walker was being able to use, drive and brake with one hand.  One–handed manuevering wouldn't be my choice, but sometimes it was necessary.  With Winnie's two bike–handle brakes, one–handed anything was courting disaster.
 
One more small issue came up.  I had purchased a collapsible cup holder for Winnie and loved it.  It wouldn't hold a cup with a handle or a stemmed glass, but that was OK.  Having decided not to cannibalize Winnie, I ordered a universal cup holder for the new rollator even though it wasn't collapsible.  When it arrived, Earl installed it for me.  It may not have collapsed, but it held plain glasses, mugs with handles and stemmed glasses. 

The lesson:  I need a cup holder that can carry a wine glass. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We have contact

Resume and Update

East Coast Roadtrip