The Concert Venue



It's tempting but sometimes cowardly, for disabled persons to avoid theaters, plays and concerts.  Then again, sometimes it can also be the better part of discretion.  The ADA led to many venues eliminating barriers to persons with limited mobility.  Features such as preferred seating, vigilant and helpful employees help facilitate attendance, but they may come at a price.


Zoo concert, Portland
It's one of those, "Do I really want to go?" decisions that comes up.  In the summer, Portland hosts free outdoor concerts (for the able–bodied).  Although the disabled pay a bundle for reserved seating, it's still very worthwhile if you choose to attend.  However even when I was much younger, sitting on the grass, staking out a spot two to three hours before showtime with 1000 of my best friends, was never on my list of top ten things to do.  But this time, I really felt old and cranky.  I couldn't just write it off to age, but that venue is meant for people of all ages who want "the outdoor concert experience".  Dancing families have always been a fun part of a free concert—that was not the issue.  Earl and I wanted to hear the music of Pink Martini and see the musicians.  We were annoyed by people who felt their conversations were more important than the program (why were they there?). People kept walking in front of us.  Tough; that's where our seats were.  

The concert was over at 10 pm.  The huge crowd, poor lighting, manuevering Skeeter in the dark and not hitting anyone on our way out, made it not my preferred destination. Just as the music ended, I cautiously backed up, getting stuck on the concrete sidewalk behind our seats, edged forward slowly to then get unstuck and finally scored on Earl's heel.  He had been trying avert injury by parting and warning the departing crowd of an incoming scooter.  The saying goes, "If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen."  I can't stand the heat at an outdoor concert, so I'm going to stay out of the kitchen.


Keller Auditorium, Portland
On the other hand, indoor venues like theaters and auditoriums are well set up for mobility–impaired people.  Disabled seating is usually in the back, making "first one out" an efficient exit.  Heidi and Michael gave us tickets to the Jersey Boys and made handicapped seating reservations.  That was one more humiliation bullet to bite, but it seemed so ungrateful not to go.  Not having to negotiate the steep slope common to concert auditoriums was a relief.  Half way through the play, I thought,"Ahh, this is my venue!"  I was free to be carried away (that's hard?) by Frankie Valli & The Four Seasons.

Since these experiences preceded our trip to Disneyland (I'm Going to Disneyland post), I didn't appreciate how easy it can be to go where you choose.  Now I know to add some venues to my favorite place—home (couch, good wine, bathroom).  Taking advantage of concerts, museums and movies also makes it reasonable to say, "No thanks, that just doesn't call to me."
 
The lesson:  Indoor venues work better for me than outdoor ones.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We have contact

Resume and Update

East Coast Roadtrip