A Bigger Life—The Bay trip

San Francisco Views
I wouldn't call my earlier life 'big', but after my ataxia restricted my mobility, it definitely seemed less significant.  As I said in my first post*, getting Skeeter helped me expand a life that seemed much smaller than it was pre–ataxia.

Party–sure
It's so tempting to opt out of activities because it seems like too much trouble.  Then there is sensible opting out because going is too much trouble and just plain stupid.  I've done both, made some mistakes, but try to avoid the former and observe the latter.  Parties, tours, hillside viewing...(sure, sure, no thanks).

Tour de Tiburon

Skeeter was an important part of our recent trip to the bay area.  I couldn't have participated in many things, if not for her (at least, within a reasonable time frame).  Another big part was Earl —disassembling, loading, unloading, reassembling the scooter anywhere from three to ten times a day.  Good news–he's a strong lifter with a good back; bad news, he has the nerve to get tired.

Travel has always provided opportunities, but this trip reminded me that a partner and accommodating friends are necessary as well.  Still, without a motorized conveyance, I wouldn't have been able to fly, meet friends for dinner, tour Tiburon, Belvedere, and Sausalito.  My life would be smaller if I'd opted out; instead it seems a bit bigger.
'Showing up' is a major part of anyone's game, particularly mine.

Tour de Belvedere

The Lesson: It takes more effort to get out, but it beats staying home alone–not always, but most of the time.

*Previous post–Meet Skeeter


Comments

  1. You and Earl are such a good team.
    Yes, you never quite know what you are going to get when you opt to take the trip. Definitely stories to tell. In spite of the complications, good for you for getting out there to 'expand' your life! I've definitely scaled back activities since having surgery to fix my bowels. It's just a bit more difficult to 'want' to get out knowing I *may* have complications to deal with along the way. Some days it's worth staying, some days it's worth going.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

We have contact

Resume and Update

East Coast Roadtrip