The Rest of Winter

I admit it.  We're weather wimps in the Northwest.  We've certainly had it easier than most parts of the country.  We endured significant inconvenience and some cabin fever, but that was it.  I shouldn't complain, but that never stopped me before.

Being disabled and retired, I was free to enjoy the snow and not have to get to work.*  There was nowhere I had to be until an important appointment on Friday.  But, it was warming up and melting the unusual heavy snowfall.  Being a temperate climate, snowmelt in the Northwest is ordinarily a fast event. This time, however, the slow thaw was a bigger problem than the snow!  It just wouldn't go away fast enough.  A little background: Our street is a bit of a hurdle.  If you can get up it and out, it's usually free sailing.  I wasn't worried. The driveway was clearing and Earl was making it to work with minimal difficulties (albeit with 4-wheel drive).  He just avoided idiots who drove as if it was Spring.

Although my appointment was only a mile away, Earl was worried about both the weather with only front wheel drive, and my being alone.  As an ataxian, my navigation and stability margins are minimal. I put my son and daughter-in-law, who lived close by, on speed dial in case.  "Be careful," Earl said as he left for work.  I managed to focus on his expression of concern and not snap, "That didn't occur to me, I'm never careful..." but I was so close.

Our smartphone text messages:
From Earl: 'Just try extra hard to keep a steady but adequate speed going up the hill.'

From Tammy: 'OK.  I'll aim to stay in the tracks.  Thanks for scouting.'

Not too bad in the tracks
Clear roads once off our street
From Tammy: 'I am here safe and sound.  As usual, once I got off the street, the roads are clear.  Guess where the plow piled the snow in the parking lot?'

From Earl: 'Glad you made it, are safe, and didn't break anything. That seemed to go well.'

From Tammy: 'Well is a stretch, considering the snow piled in the handicapped parking.  Guess the snow plow drivers figured disabled people would have the good sense to stay home.  Being unable to pull all the way into the space, I partially parked.  When I opened the car door, I had to step on a snow pile.'

Too good a photo op to pass up
From Earl: 'Hope u got a picture of that.'

From Tammy: 'I didn't.  That was Jason's thought.  If our street wasn't so treacherous, I'd go back for one.'  (I did go back later and it didn't look like much of an obstacle after further melting, but then it doesn't take much.)

So, why didn't I just cancel the appointment? What could possibly be so important?
Our trip to Maui was coming up on Monday, I had to get my manicure and pedicure done, I'd had the appointment for a month and couldn't reschedule, and...oh, never mind.

The lesson:  Neither snow nor rain shall stay me from the swift completion of getting my nails done.**

* Previous post: A Winter's Tale
**Previous post: What Do You Do All Day?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We have contact

Resume and Update

East Coast Roadtrip