What's the point?


Editing a blog can be a tough job and it takes a brave person to do it.  Fortunately, I have someone who is totally immune to my whining, tears, and emotional sensitivity.  You would think putting a daughter in charge of her mother would be fraught with danger.  So far, Heidi and I have been able to utilize her critical skills to improve Scooter Sagas without killing each other.*  I'm fairly, but not completely, directible and hard to offend (in the blogging context).

"What's your point, Mom?" she says with each post draft.  I know that's coming, so I've learned to prepare for it.  Part of my writing routine now includes as a start, The Point.  Having a single issue, the right illustrations or pictures keeps me from a tendency to put more than one focus in a post.  Like life, dealing with a disability is unpredictable; sometimes one idea, sometimes more than one, sometimes nothing.  Having someone who knows you well has its benefits in preventing disorganized writing.  Heidi often understands what I mean to say, but isn't hesitant to tell me when I'm being confusing, unclear, or inappropriately snarky.  Being appropriately snarky is a genetic trait she and I inherited from my mother, along with the ataxia.**  That's not likely to ever go away—the ataxia or the snarkiness.

Earl is also my editor, but we're married, so his comments have inherent risks.  He is selective in his criticism.  Truth be told, I think he's more than happy to have Heidi be the bad cop.  He may spot an errant comma or a run-on sentence, but he knows she'll take care of it.
Heidi comments that get my attention:
"It's your blog, but..."
"I'm not saying 'Start over', but..."
"You don't need to say that. It doesn't contribute anything."
"I don't have many changes, but..."
"Everyone likes pictures, but you have too many."
"I didn't understand The Lesson.  Relate it to your point.

I revise and tweak until I hear,"It's funny now.  I don't have any more changes."


The Lesson: Suck it up, Tam, and take the criticism. The blog will be better for it.  Yes Heidi, I know I've used the second graphic before...it just seemed even more relevant here.

*Previous post: It's a b-b-book
**Previous post:  Thanks, Mom

Comments

  1. Hi Darlin'! You're very lucky to have an editor who is so close to you, so available and helpfully critical. You're right, it takes a special person, one who is hard to find and/or hard to ask!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

We have contact

Resume and Update

East Coast Roadtrip