The Holiday Elves


Michael and Sarah began the decorating process by hanging the over-sized ornaments on the driveway trees.  Our yard crew put up the backyard lights.  The fence and gazebo were festive platforms and didn't require anyone getting on a ladder–my seasonal mandate.  The outside was beginning to look a lot like...oh, never mind.  The focus turned to the house.

I'm not the only dictator around here.  Since they were between homes, I was thinking the Tenison family would want something that was just theirs.  To that end, Heidi and Michael had purchased an artificial tree for upstairs. An upstairs tree is nice, but it was the live downstairs tree that Sarah and Kyle focused on.

Jill, the Light Elf
Niece Jill's task was to put the lights on, hang ornaments on high branches, and leave the lower half for the grandchildren to finish.  On return from school, Sarah and Kyle pointed out that there were decorations in their area.  I was instructed to thank Auntie Jill and assure her that they would hang the rest of the ornaments.  OK, I could do that.


The Tree Elves
Here was the dilemma:  One tree, four children who want things the way they've always been.  Change?  Not so much.  Anyone who envisions happy smiling faces, taking turns hanging ornaments on a tree, doesn't have a great deal of experience with children. But the four grandchildren surprised me.  Not only did they trim the tree harmoniously, but skillfully and fast!  Maybe they'll de–decorate both trees in January.

Sandie, Marvin
The trouble with decking the halls is cleaning up.  I'm a whiz at generating holiday upheaval, but not very useful at clearing it.  Sandie took a brief break from her usual assisting, to become the invaluable Tidy Elf.  Moving boxes, clearing paths, getting ready for the Final Elf.

Earl's older brother Marvin came for a brief visit, only to become the Bonus Elf.  Always a good sport, he was willing to take on the little jobs that had to get done.  I'll enlist anyone, of any age.  I have no shame.


Pam and Christmas Past
Final Elf Pam.  I have a friend with creativity, style, and a good eye for whimsical décor.  She has been decorating both my home and front porch for the holidays for years.  Not an easy challenge, when the house is overwhelmingly Asian.
Christmas Present
Pam always comes with a focus and asks what I had in mind.  Right.  "Whatever you think is best", I respond, walking away.  When the elf is finished and tiptoes out the front door, I'm officially in the holiday spirit.



The lesson: 'Tis the season of the Christmas Village.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We have contact

Resume and Update

East Coast Roadtrip