Testing the retirement–planning the road trip


Earl and I decided to make the first post-retirement travel adventure a three to four week road trip through the national western parks.  This year seemed like a good time. Seeing the parks is something we've always wanted to do.  Work schedules don't dictate the start and end dates of trips any longer and we've gained some information about how well Skeeter and I travel.  We've been flying to Maui and driving to various family vacation destinations–running the gamut from minimal luggage to everything but the kitchen sink.  We know Skeeter's battery lasts only so long, as well as what terrain she can and can't handle.  We've been able to handle most scooting disasters that have occurred.  My bladder is good for three hours or 200 miles (whichever comes first).  At this point, I'm semi-ambulatory (with a walker).  We were probably as prepared as we'd ever be.

Thank you, Google Maps
Google maps helped us plan the trip route and mileage between destinations (I do love technology!)  My driving requirement of short, familiar routes didn't fit with the plan*.  Since Earl would be the Lone Driver, it was important to keep daily distances comfortable.  For the most part, mileage between park destinations was in the manageable range.  Traveling to family and friends on the way home is going to be downright easy driving.

We elected to rent an extended minivan similar in size to what we take on our annual family vacation**.  We know it can accommodate our gear (Skeeter, Winnie, Earl's bike, my trike), food and luggage.  Packing for five days in Central Oregon isn't very different from a month–long road trip. There's more laundry, but that's what laundromats are for.

Hope it's ADA–compliant
Car travel in the US, thanks to the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), is accommodating to persons with physical limitations.  All states honor the handicapped parking placard and all restaurants, lodging, parks, and bathrooms built or modified after the early 70's must be ADA–compliant.  The keyword here is 'compliant'.  ADA compliance can be expensive and difficult.  It's open to interpretation, highly variable, and not to be depended upon***.  I've learned to go early, check first, and have no expectations. 

We took a trip to AAA to make a few hotel reservations.  Just enough to make sure there was room at the more touristy places, yet allow for the "move on" or "let's stay another day" flexibility we wanted.  The last thing Earl needs to deal with is a 'NO VACANCY' sign and me with a full bladder.

Travel entertainment
Earl and I aren't inherently 'chatty' and whenever he requests "sparkling conversation" to keep him awake, I look around for the woman he's speaking to in back of me.  But we both love to listen to audiobooks in the car****. That's the entertainment plan.  We have different tastes in reading material (he likes sci-fi, I don't; I like English mysteries, he doesn't).  Choosing books for that much time in the car will be the challenge.

Add wine—we're there
Then there is the food issue.  We'll take a cooler and plenty of road trip snacks to ensure reasonable nutritional value and fluid intake.  Fortunately, we have pretty similar tastes in food and drink, but different metabolisms.  Earl tends to burn his calories off and has not varied his weight more than five pounds in all the time we've been married.  I have to think about intake all the time and, believe it or not, it's not primarily a cosmetic issue.  The ataxia keeps me sitting most of the time, so any extra pounds go right to my ass.  At some point, extra weight = extra effort.  I know I need to stay well hydrated, but I also have a pea–sized bladder.  I have to balance my need to drink fluids, a limited bladder capacity, and distance to the next rest stop.*****  We're both very OK with good restaurant food—as long as they serve wine.

I know I sound like a broken record regarding technology, but it does have a positive impact on travel.  Certainly any of my children who want to will be able to track us with Find My Friends.  We'll be able to stay in touch and 'see' the grandchildren during Facetime calls. But, it also prevents marital arguments. Google Map's talking directions ensure 1] Earl doesn't have to ask for directions (like that's going to happen) 2] we don't get lost somewhere, and 3] I don't have to navigate in a moving car (the nystagmus that comes with ataxia can cause vertigo and nausea when reading directions.Throwing up is so unattractive).  The app Yelp will let us know the nearest restaurant or hotel is, give us directions, and even makes reservations.  Really, what's not to like about technology?

There are several ways to share trip photos.  I'll bore family and friends when we get back (stay tuned).  But a friend and I took a photography class at the Apple Store last month.  The instructor suggested that I post progress photos to an FYI album only for prospective hosts.  I have friends that publish a more extensive travel blog for their European excursions.  But they are more disciplined than me. I wanted a solution that was automatic, affords some security, and didn't depend on motivation or wi-fi connectivity.

The lesson:  Road trip adventures will have pitfalls.  Staying flexible, but aware should serve us well.

*Previous post: Rules of the Road, paragraph 1 
**Previous post: Runaway walker, paragraph 1
***Previous post: You've Got Mail
****Previous post: Audiobooks: another kind of friend
*****Previous post: Untoward Exits

 

Comments

  1. Looks great! Can't imagine planning the trip AND writing about planning the trip! Shoot me now. Wish I could offer you a place to stay but my extended family in residence doesn't appear to be ending any time soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The map is very tentative. Meant to be graphic, not route predictive.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

We have contact

Resume and Update

East Coast Roadtrip