Spring Comes to the Hood

Triking up the street
In the six years I've been scooting, this was the first year I found myself often weathered in. It's been a long winter. Snow, ice, wind, and heavy rain got me out of the scooting routine.  I have to confess to some reluctance that I attribute to advancing age and cowardice. If the street is wet, my tricycle slips, so I wasn't triking either*.  I hadn't seen my 'route' friends in months**.  It's not as if I haven't been out and up the street in a car this winter.  I just missed being outdoors by myself.

The comings and goings
Earl and I, living here 36 years, aren't the longest residents on the street, but pretty damn close.  Turnover is slow here, but eventually time passes.  Kids grow, graduate, marry, move out, even though we never age.  I was able to get a closer view of the new house being built and an update on the house for sale on the street.

My new 'friends'

Looking outside, the Oregon skies were gray (big surprise) but the street was temporarily dry.  It was time to venture forth, get on the trike, and take in the seasonal changes on the street.  I even made new friends—a pair of ducks.  The first time up the street, they scurried away from me.  By the fourth time, they were bored and didn't even glance my way.  They may not have regarded me as a friend, but I did them.  If I can over–personify a scooter and a tricycle, I can befriend ducks.

Inside Spring
Outside Spring
While I loved my indoor flowers, there was something about the outdoor flowering that heralded Spring.  It was good being in the fresh air again and not just being a passenger.

The lesson: There's no substitute for being outside when the seasons change.  It's hard to smell the flowers from a car.


Previous posts:
* The Trike and Skeeter
** The Northwest Scootroute Garden Tour

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We have contact

Resume and Update

March On!