The Northwest Scootroute Garden Tour


Disclaimer: I realize the Northwest also includes Washington and Idaho, but I'm an Oregonian and this is my blog.


Assaulted by the green
One thing the Northwest does well is 'green'. Years ago, a California friend, on relocating to Oregon, said he sometimes felt 'assaulted by the green'.  Granted when you're used to non-mountainous terrain, frequent sunshine and seeing the horizon, it can be disconcerting here, but who's going to listen to a Californian?  It's Oregon, for Pete's sake!  Our desert–loving relatives, on a visit, kept expecting to see the horizon when they got over the next hill (we say 'hill', they say 'mountain').  However, there was usually another hill or trees in the view. Another friend, transplanted from the Northwest to the Midwest for a time, told me she could stand on a can of shoe polish and see Wisconsin from Illinois.  I'm guessing she meant it was flat there.
Flowers in, on, over walls
Apart from the flora and mountains (real mountains), it's just plain beautiful here—most of the time.  Oregon has an undeserved reputation for constant rain.  It's not the rain, as we only get about 37 inches per year—even less if you factor in the eastern side of the state.  It's the gray and dearth of sunshine that sends Northwesterners to California, the southwest deserts, Mexico, and Hawaii for sunbreaks.  We actually have all four seasons, but often it feels like 8 months of cool, drizzly and gray skies, 4 months of warmth, sunshine and beauty.  The temperate climate, rain, few natural disasters, and some sunshine makes things grow and green.


Lamppost flower baskets
Al fresco dining
Oregonians never take good weather for granted and are active outside year round.  But when the sun appears, it seems as if no one stays indoors.  The temperature may still be cool, but if it's dry and outdoor dining is possible, a restaurant will make it happen.  Before the frost is off the pumpkin, sandals and shorts appear on some natives.  Lake Oswego hangs it's lamppost baskets at the first opportunity and never seems to have trouble finding funds for flower maintenance.    The moderate climate also gives rise to a unique creature—the Northwestern Whining Weather Wimp.  It's call–"It's too hot/cold/wet/humid/windy..." (it inserts the pertinent complaint)

Trees on the route
As a person with ataxia, and, thus mobility impairment, it was sometimes easier to just stay inside.  Walking had always made me feel part of things.  Now, not only was I losing touch with my neighborhood and community, I was bored.  A major reason I acquired Skeeter in the first place was to get outside—anywhere.  The addition of the rain canopy allowed me to scoot even in our questionable weather.  So I created my own garden tour.  Along my route to downtown, I had my favorite houses,  home remodels, and housepaint colors I didn't like (funny how no one asked me).   I was back in the game, enjoying myself and criticizing along the scoot route. I didn't think I was a 'smell-the-roses' kind of gal, but the fragrance outdoors can make one out of anybody, especially in the Spring.  Pollyanna alert!  Grass, air, flowers, rain all have a unique smell that makes me close my eyes and breathe deeply.


The Garden House
Approach to Garden House
I didn't anticipate making friends on the tour.  That was an unexpected bonus, since due to the wet weather, Oregonians may stay inside.  Besides, I did look pretty strange, was sometimes mistaken for the ice cream vendor, or seemed intent on some mission.  I'm amazed how many neighbors say they watch me going by in case they needed to help with Skeeter or call 911.  So far, that hasn't happened, but now I know there are people watching whether I see them or not.  However, I did make new friends.  On my route, I met the 'garden couple', so named because I had always smiled as I scooted by their lovely yard.  Uncharacteristically (for Oregon), they extended their friendship.  Later on, they invited me on Skeeter for evening cocktails in the garage and included a neighbor.  I went on to add children, dogs, and even a fellow scooter owner.  Life was definitely looking bigger. 
One day, while passing the garden house, out came my friend with the man who had rescued me two years ago*.  The two men were friends as well as neighbors.  If I was ever to get in trouble again, that was the street to do it on —plenty of first responders.
No BS sidewalks here


Parks appear where you least expect them.



The Garden Tour really isn't one.  It doesn't matter who pays someone to landscape, who gardens themselves, or who doesn't garden much at all.  Skeeter and I just enjoy being outdoors and making it home with battery power to spare.  Our eclectic street runs the gamut of formally tended landscaping, the typical 'northwest' look,  the 'laissez faire' look, to the 'survival of the fittest' look. If there is a culture of competition, there's no sign of it on our street. Mostly, it's green...with trees.
Our eclectic street 1
Our eclectic street 2






Our eclectic street 3
Our eclectic street 5
Our eclectic street 4












 The lesson: When you live in Oregon, there's never enough green.

Previous post:Out of Power--Adventure # 3

Comments

  1. Yes, the PNW (Pacific Northwest) is truly charmed - but not for everybody! As a tourguide of NW Oregon, and a Portland native, I find the visitors I see daily from around the world are love-it or leave-it. But from my *slightly* slanted perspective, like you, Tam, I am completely in love with my home environment, and that's what I can't help putting across to my tour guests.

    Wonderful photos! All are quintessential of the parks and wild spaces around the region.

    I'm glad you are out-and-about getting filled up with the local scenery. The scents in the air are really transforming. How fun to have welcoming neighbors.

    Now, your "Out of Power--Adventure #3" needs to be linked!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

We have contact

Resume and Update

East Coast Roadtrip