The Uphill Climb

It's been a long 10 months since Earl's bicycle accident on the highway in Maui*.  The accident affected him in ways other than the physical injuries.  Not that we needed another lesson on how life can turn on a dime, but I thought we had that one down.  Little did we know, there was more for us to learn.  Where I've had almost 15 years to adjust to disability, this was a foreign experience for him.  Making the adjustment from caregiver to an injured person was hard.  Earl had spent the last decade being my primary caregiver  and felt bad about not being able to that.  
Tammy: "Like you did this on purpose?  Last I heard, you were going for a bike ride and minding your own business."

My experience with disabilities ended up being fortuitous.  Having different deficits made the tag team approach to tasks more doable – pathetic looking, but doable.  Being wheelchair bound and no longer concerned about balance when seated, made it easier for me to transport things.  Having use of my feet and a wheelchair made it faster to "scuttle and fetch".  I had been having my helper Sandie coming for a couple of hours twice a week for more than eight years *.  She was able to increase her hours for a time now that she had two helpees.

I've always believed that it does take a village **.  Never more so than now.  Our son had to fly to Maui from a business trip to Sweden and care for his father in the early days after the accident.  A week later, he was able to help us get home.  Couldn't have navigated an airplane without him***.  

We're also lucky to have Jack, an international student living with us****.  He picked us up at the airport and did the sort of heavy lifting that Earl couldn't do.  Although we never required emergency care, it was reassuring to have another person in the house. He could also load Skeeter in the car.  I could still scoot out of the garage, but I needed lifting that I could no longer expect from Earl.  Family shopped for us and our granddaughter protectively accompanied her grandfather on his first ventures to the grocery store.  What do village–less people do?

Friends provided us with delivered meals since the family chef was out of commission.  Our niece, nephew and friends provided transportation since the family chauffeur was also out of commission.  People often think "loss of consortium" is only sexual, but we can deal with that. It became evident to everyone how much Earl does and how significant he is in my daily life.

Being a "data" guy, Earl started to keep a journal on his smartphone.  That gave him something to do during his sleepless nights.  He knew better than to expect sparkling conversation from me.  More importantly, he was able to include his feelings with objective information.  Whenever he felt there was no progress, he could refer back and realize that, albeit slow, there was some healing going on.  I remembered my sister-in-law had recommended that I start journaling to deal with my emotions at the onset of my ataxia.  I had forgotten that my blog had started with that.  

As a cyclist, Earl had no shortage of cycling buddies with their own 'accident tales' and lessons.  That informal support group was no small deal and became a critical part of his rehabilitation.  As empathetic as everyone was, it was the fellow bikers who really understood the PTSD that haunts the bicycle rider. and could crop up when it was completely unexpected.  

The lesson: It's hard to be disabled, however temporary and whatever the cause, it's easier to give care than receive it.

*Previous post:  The Help
**Previous post:  Where's My Village?
***Previous post:  The Maui Event
****Previous post:  Family Vacation 2017–The waters of Central Oregon






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We have contact

Resume and Update

East Coast Roadtrip