To Blog or Not to Blog

Something different—my first joint effort.


Why I Blog? : schumant.blogspot.com
Tammy Schuman
I enjoy blogging, but never appreciated the varied ways it could be used.  As I mentioned earlier, I started journaling on my sister–in–law's recommendation and my musings morphed into a blog* (web log).  Getting Skeeter changed my perspective and provided all sorts of laughable moments.  It was a compatible context for serendipity, my smart mouth, and learning to deal with a disability.

While some people use blogs to vent, most people choose to inform others about their unique life experience.  I post when something happens or comes to me.  It's interesting the freedom you have when there is no salary involved.  A schedule of three posts in one week or only one in one month is not uncommon.  

I have a friend who posted regularly to mark the impending birth of her first grandchild.  Initially, she used her blog to capture thoughts about the life–changing event.  After the baby was born, my friend got busy with other activities.  Go figure.  She posted intermittently, but email and Facebook were a better fit for her lifestyle.  She still comments on my blog via her blog.  Fortunately, I get all of her communications and we stay connected on many different forums.  We wouldn't even have to spend time "catching up" on a face to face visit, if our memories were better. 

There are side benefits to blogging that I had never thought about, yet became evident with time. As with anything, a recipient of a communication can choose to read a post, email or tweet.  That makes me more comfortable with my tendency to overshare.  I knew I could have as many blogs as I wanted, but didn't appreciate the implications of drafts.  Some drafts could go unpublished forever and stay as private as a diary.  Others could be published and end up as public as CNN.  I have my 'blab, blab, blab' blogs, my 'I have an idea' blogs, and 'maybe someday' blogs.  I also have my 'Earl, delete in event of my death' blogs.  I can make a meticulous effort to complete a sentence or just deposit a thought like a sticky note (and not forget where I wrote it down).


If you do a websearch on "blogs", you'll find many available options.  I went with Blogspot because it came up first and suited my needs.  I'd like to boast that my software choice is always the best and most current, but familiarity and convenience usually win out.  My fellow blogger, Michelle (see below) chose Wordpress because she had worked with it before and it felt familiar.  All blog vendors have one thing in common–more information than you're ever likely to use.  Looking at the data does, however, become addictive. 

This isn't the NSA, but I can guess at some information, mostly because the numbers of readers are small.  Blogspot tells me how many people read the blog that day, but not who they are, who meant to read the post, and who just stumbled on it. 

If I were more into marketing, I'd post when I noticed readership dwindling.  However, I'm an erratic blogger and I don't see that changing.  

My biggest audience is in North America and, interestingly, the numbers are very similar to my email notification list.  I have readers in Russia, China, and Europe, but no one in South America or Africa.  It may sound exotic when Thailand turns up on the global map, but it's probably my friends and their family.  Once, a Middle Eastern country showed up.  Given the value placed on opinionated women, I knew that had to be an accidental stumble.  It's not world hunger, but intriguing... 



Since I was very young, I enjoyed writing. I have always found it a comfortable and easy way to express my thoughts. I’ve journaled off and on for most of my life, with no other goal than to think on paper. Writing is a great way to work out problems. By writing down my stream of consciousness, I can order my thoughts and analyze them, then sometimes a solution will miraculously appear!
 
Staying connected
Prior to my cancer diagnosis (February 2012), journaling was a private affair, done in a notebook or computer files. With the diagnosis, a family friend encouraged me to start a blog and share the events of my treatment with writing and photos. For one thing, she said, writing for an audience would provide me with a positive focus rather than dwelling on the cancer fight which I had no control over. Another thing, any following I developed because of the blog could be used as momentum toward eventually writing a book or other publications someday. I saw blogging as a way to update everyone who cares about me at any time of day. They could share encouragement and their own stories, and feel connected to me as I was going through my treatments.
Comic Relief
 Initially I chose to blog as a way to raise awareness about colon cancer and encourage people to get their screenings done. As I learned more about cancer, treatments, side effects, my own successes and foibles the blog could be educational. Because I was living far away from my Portland home getting my treatments done in California, blogging became a critical way to stay connected to my family and friends back home. I think from the beginning, blogging was always about my own comic relief. Being able to explore my situation and laugh about it helped me to cope.
Functionally, blogging allows me to expand my technique, hone my communication skills, vocabulary, language, focus, etc. It is a dynamic way to find out what people will respond to or misunderstand (anyone who emails knows there is lots of room for misinterpretation of the written word!).
Putting my writings online for all to see was a difficult move: public scrutiny! A blog’s content is governed only by the blogger (me). Launching the blog was like stepping out on stage in front of an audience. However, I knew, like an actor, I would get over the stage fright. People will read what interests them, not necessarily what is polished or proven, clever or informative, so I do not stress about perfection. I like to keep in touch with my readers by posting, yet since I'm in remission, there is little new that I can write about my well–being. So the course of the blog will evolve as I look at creative ways to continue its relevancy.


Humor helped me cope
The Lesson:
As already proven by the popularity of social media (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, etc.) everyone has a voice, and there is room for everyone’s writings out there in the blogosphere.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

We have contact

Resume and Update

East Coast Roadtrip