Upgrading


It's been an interesting few years and my assistive devices are looking a little sad.  As a person with ataxia, I'm always on the lookout to improve my mobility (futile though it may be).  I may try something, but usually and eventually, gravitate back to my old familiar things.

"Trade in, trade up" is my customary modus operandi.  I have no trouble with a mobile phone, computer, food processor, or a car.  In truth, I'm a bit of a 'latest and greatest' junkie.  But upgrading my Winnie Walker, tricycle, and Skeeter has been surprisingly problematic.  Considering how important they are to my mobility, you wouldn't think it would be an issue.  I know I over–personify* and assistive devices are inanimate things, but they've been through so much with me.  I'm not known for becoming attached to things, so this attitude was baffling.  Switching out the tattered Winnie Walker pouch for a little–used one left at my son's home was an overdue improvement, but still a struggle.  I didn't want the entire unused rollator–just the pouch.  "But," I wailed, "the old Winnie has my cupholder and it's lighter (8 ounces)!"  Earl didn't even bother to argue with my unseemly attachment, shook his head, and just switched the pouches.

Upgrading the tricycle was easier.  I use it a lot, but not on a daily basis and the attachment is less intense.  The new trike has a more upright position and I look a bit less like an upended turtle**.  I was ready for a 'latest and greatest' upgrade.  However, I found myself preferring the same company and design model.  Not being big into change, I have basically the same gear shifters and brakes.  I did 'trade up' the flag.  I actually have a growing collection of flags at several different heights.  That counts for something.

Fortunately, there is no significant new motorized scooter technology on the horizon.  As long as I keep an eye on the battery function and timely replacement***, Skeeter keeps going like the Energizer Bunny.  New batteries are reasonable maintenance.  A responsible owner would do that.  When we had to take a loaner scooter to Maui last year, I knew it was temporary.  There was no turmoil.  Sure, I should keep her cleaner than I do, but that's an ongoing improvement effort.  When Skeeter requires replacing, it's not going to be pretty or easy.  I'm too much of a nickle–nose not to put her on Craigslist or Ebay for resale, but I will be elsewhere when a buyer comes to pick her up.

The lesson:  Get over it, Tam.  It's a freakin' inanimate assistive device!  Trade in, trade up.


* Previous post: Dueling Walkers
**Previous post:  I need a job–or something
***Previous post: Out of Power--Adventure #3


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We have contact

Resume and Update

East Coast Roadtrip