Ineedanew


The warning signs were there.  It's not that I wasn't paying attention when Skeeter stalled unexpectedly *.  I was just so used to anticipating battery power failure, I neglected to check out the drive train life expectancy.  Turned out the drive train was guaranteed for one year.  We bought Skeeter in June of 2010—smart girl, Tam.

Stalled on Kenolio Road in Maui
Skeeter even stalled in Maui on a reasonable charge, good terrain, and only a slight incline.  It was kind of like having a big dog that has gone too far and refuses to move–pleading and swearing doesn't help.  Fortunately, a brief push from Earl did help and got us going again.  It was reassuring not to need a car pick up, but my adventurous confidence was declining.  The final straw came when Skeeter died on my usual 'downtown LO to home' route.  Granted, it was up hill and the streets were rough, but I was still on the street.  I know, I know...  The good news was that I knew Heidi was home and had a big car.  The bad news was that we both have ataxia.  Michael and Earl were at work.

Tammy to Heidi: I may need a lift.  Officially dead in the water.

Heidi to Tammy:   OK.  I'm ready.  Where are you?  (Find My Friends to the rescue)

Tammy to Heidi: We may need help with Skeeter...(Too late. She was already on her way).

I was confident that there would be multiple offers of help and we would be fine. But since I stalled off the beaten path, we ended up being on our own. 
Heidi found me, parked her rig, and then we strategized how best to load Skeeter in the Highlander.  A travel motorized scooter does dismantle in three parts, each weighing less than 35 lbs. I wasn't as fast and slick as Earl, but I knew how to do it**.  To make a long story short, by leaning on the car for balance, Heidi and I managed to load the scooter in the back.
There was time to pick up the kids from school, but no time to drop me at the house. That changed the daily routine and temporarily threw them for a loop.  On getting in, 8-year-old Kyle inquired,  "How did you and Grandma get Skeeter in the car, Mommy?"  Fortunately, children are satisfied with the abridged version and have no use for the long story.

Nice, but it won't fit in the car
Since we had two trips within three months planned, Earl and I started the 'ineedanew' discussion.  Did I really need a new motorized scooter?  Maybe just a new drive train would do.  The battery was less than a year old.  I had never replaced the tires.  Was there anything better out there? Should we go back to the dealer or shop online?  Should we get the same model scooter or something different?  As my voice took on a definite whining tone, I came to the realization that we might need to replace Skeeter and I wasn't happy about it.  Usually, I embrace new with enthusiasm.  This didn't feel the same.  I was over–personifying again.

Scooters, scooters everywhere
Earl and I decided to go back to the dealer.  They had always given us good service even when my Elphaba side surfaced***.  After checking Skeeter out, they pronounced her past the 'best used by date'.  Apparently, five years is a motorized scooter's life expectancy.  The technology hadn't changed significantly–no increase in speed or battery power.  We ended up with a newer model, but essentially, the same scooter, manufacturer and color.  That made the transition easier****.  When Earl loaded both scooters in the Prius to go home, we were pleasantly surprised to find they fit, they stayed on their own side and didn't fight.
2 scooters in a small car

I'd like to say I was sad and mournful, but I sat down at the computer and went straight to Craigslist as soon as we got home*****.  Sentimental person that I am, Skeeter's on the market and headed to another home.

The lesson:  We're back.  Skeeter 2 does have more zip.  The better to venture forth.  New adventures and crises await.


Update:  I sold Skeeter (warts, stalls, scratches and all) within an hour on Craigslist and she is on her way to her new home in Washington.

*Previous post: The Holiday Dictator, paragraph 7
**Previous post: The Travel Scooter
***Previous post: Skeeter's Rival–Younger, faster...
****Previous post: Upgrading
*****Previous post: If it doesn't move–sell it.
  







Comments

  1. Would it be out of line to do suggest you have two? The one with windshield looks ideal for the cold/wet weather.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

We have contact

Resume and Update

East Coast Roadtrip