Skeeter's Rival–Younger, faster...

Skeeter was losing her oomph and of course, I attributed it to heavy use and a dying battery.  A trip to Maui was approaching, so we thought it wise to get her checked out and, if necessary, buy a new battery.  Fortunately, Earl isn't threatened by my enjoyment of a battery–operated device and was willing to do whatever it took to avoid trouble in paradise.

I called the store where we originally bought Skeeter Battery Hygiene? Adventure #8 , made an appointment, and Earl and I took her in.  We were much calmer than the first time (previous Battery Hygiene post), figuring the problem could be detected, fixed or replaced and it wasn't my fault.  Turned out, the battery was fine, but Skeeter needed a new brake mechanism.  Only a week before going to Maui,  they TWO-DAY shipped the part.  We took Skeeter back two days later.  After an hour of killing time in the store and no sign of scooter or technician, I figured something was up.  The technician hadn't been satisfied with the strange clicking sound when the new part was installed, so I elected to leave Skeeter overnight and pick her up the next day.  I had started to phone the store the next day to be certain she was ready, when they called me.


Nice
Store:  "We're sorry Mrs. Schuman, the factory shipped a defective part.  They are going to OVERNIGHT a new part and your scooter will be ready tomorrow.
Tammy:  "OK.  Remember, we leave in 3 days."

It was a sufficiently long distance to the store, so I made arrangements for my assistant, Sandie to drive me out and pick–up Skeeter the next afternoon.
The phone call the next morning:
Store:  "We're sorry Mrs. Schuman, you have a problem.  The factory accidentally shipped the part GROUND instead of OVERNIGHT and it won't be here in time for your trip."
Not nice
Tammy:  "No, you have the problem.  I'm going to Maui, I'm joining friends, and I need a scooter."
To make a long story short, Earl and I picked up my old battery and a rental the afternoon before we flew out.  The flight was uneventful and our friends came.



The rental was a faster, newer, and flashier version of Skeeter.  It was the same brand, but different gauges and handlebars and my large battery fit.  It was fun trying out a new model—for awhile.  Thinking back on the last two years, I had to admit to feeling unfaithfullike I was cheating on her.
Get a grip, Tam; anthropomorphising a scooter for gawd's sake!  I had definitely gone over the personification edge.  

New gauges

The lesson:  Assume the worst case scenario and allow for more advance time before a trip.  Pack the sunscreen and on to Maui.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We have contact

Resume and Update

East Coast Roadtrip