This Is Not My First Rodeo


I know that's an overused phrase, but it's true.  The major difference is that when I went to previous rodeos, it was pre–ataxia.  Now I have a wheelchair and require help to do most things.  I also drank more previously, didn't mind loud crowds, had a larger bladder capacity*, and was a bit more 'country'.  I hate to say it, but I was also younger.

Events advertise that they have handicapped accommodations and they do–sort of.** Parking was close and Earl was able to keep my chair out of the horse poop on the way to the arena.  Fortunately, I could navigate to my seat with help and the event volunteers stowed the wheelchair nearby. But truth be told, rodeos are more enjoyable for people with balance and functioning lower extremities.  It also helps to suspend liberal opinions for an evening, as rodeo lovers tend to espouse more of a conservative world view.  Who needs an Elphaba at a rodeo***?  She can be such a wet blanket.  But, it was so hard keeping my mouth shut.  I'm just not used to that.

The Tackroom Bar
It was an occasion to be with friends on the 4th of July weekend, the weather was beautiful, and they served beer and wine.  Earl's friend descended from one of the St. Paul Rodeo original supporters, so we had preferred box seating and were sheltered from the sun.  What was not to like?  Not much, as it turned out, except that since Coors beer was a major sponsor, neither wine nor craft beers were allowed. Believe it not, I could handle a 'dry' evening.


Animals & humans sometimes even
In my mind, rodeos are primarily about the athleticism and skill of strong animals and humans.  The St. Paul, part of the professional circuit, was organized and well staged.  I found myself rooting for the animals and, indeed, they prevailed when the odds were more equal.  Some events weren't my cup of tea, but I had promised to zip my lip when the urge to mouth off was strong.  The good news for me is that I sat next to a friend I could say snarky things to. 

Barrel racing is so cool
We were baffled by the occasional arbitrary nature of scoring.  Although points were awarded to the horses in some competitions, it was still confusing.  Only the barrel racing (my favorite event) was 'shortest time wins' and, thus, understandable.

The rodeo festivities over the Fourth are a big deal for the town of St. Paul and feature many activities in addition to the main event—the parade, the trail ride and the court.  The nightly finale was, of course, mandatory fireworks.  We stayed for them and got our 4th of July celebration taken care of on someone else's property.  What we didn't expect was a clear sighting of the alignment of Venus and Jupiter.  By then, I had peed, was sitting in the car, and heading home.

4th of July skies

The lesson: This wasn't my first, but likely will be my last rodeo.  I doubt I'll be invited back next year.  I can live with that.

*Previous post: Public Restroom Etiquette
**Previous post: The Concert Venue
***Previous post: Pity Party––Underrated??

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We have contact

Resume and Update

East Coast Roadtrip