Minimizing the Holiday

Since our next trip to Maui was planned for New Year's, I thought this was a good year to try a lowkey holiday.  For an over–the–top Christmas dictator like me, this was no small deal.*  Fortunately for our meager approach to the seasonal spirit, some neighbors have bypassed decorations for trips to a warmer clime, so we were following a trend.   Although I do love the season, the idea of dismantling everything quickly, although others do most of the work, just didn't seem reasonable.

Under the guise of not wanting to disappoint the grandchildren, I asked for their input as to good ideas for downsizing.  I have to confess to some personal resistance to scaling back, but I was up for it.

My minimizing proposal #1: No outdoor decorating
Grandchild response: But, you have to have outdoor decorating

My minimizing proposal #2: No Christmas village this year
Grandchild response: But, you have to have your Christmas village

My minimizing proposal #3: No tree
Grandchild response: But, you have to have a tree

My minimizing proposal #4: A smaller tree
Grandchild response: But, you have to have a big tree
Traditions 2016


Peaceful Dining Décor
Obviously, I was not making much progress by soliciting input. Sharing the holidays was a good concept, but overrated.** Then I realized they just cared about tradition, not the details. There is also the issue that the grandchildren might be 'aging out' of some customs and Earl and I need to be ready for that.  Fortunately, my friend the decorating elf***, had quieter themes in mind as well and wasn't put off by my minimalist holiday needs.   She introduced some silver and doves into the theme.  Earl and I didn't miss the usual multi colors at all.  There was some festive sparkle, but a peaceful green and white color scheme was so Oregon and it made me happy. 
Green, white magnolia leaves

Outside décor

OMG!  It is small
Earl (he was granted tree choosing privileges this year) and I picked out a smaller tree at our customary lot. I am usually pretty efficient in tree shopping, but in fact it was the first tree we saw and put our hands on. We were home in 30 minutes—an indoor record.  When my nieces and nephew came to do their tree light "elf" bit**, the comment was, "You know Aunt Tammy?  I think this is the smallest tree you have ever gotten."  They proceeded to light the tree with fewer lights this year.



The lesson:  Less really is more—until next year.

*Previous post:  The Holiday Dictator
**Previous post:  Sharing the holidays
***Previous post:  The Holiday Elves






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We have contact

Resume and Update

March On!