Skeeter, My Exercise Buddy

There's not a whole lot one can do about ataxia or many of the movement disorders beyond taking care of oneself, maintaining good nutrition, flexibility, and strength.  I can't compare myself to the disabled athletes, never having been in their league. And I definitely don't aspire to that level of dedication.  But, some kind of exercise is even more critical to me now than my pre–SCA days.  Not only does immobility reduce muscle mass and function, but there is also that 'aging' thing going on.  "Use it or lose it", they say.

To that end, I depend on my Tuesday yoga friend and Earl, my personal trainer*.  But I spend so much time by myself, it's easy to succumb to my minimal motivation given half a chance.  There's always the excuse of safety first; no one around to hold me up or call 9-1-1, yada yada.

As my ataxia took me out of the customary mobility game, a fellow runner asked me if I was resentful or jealous of my athletic friends.  "Not jealous exactly, but wistfully envious", I replied.  Earl's a maniac about exercise.  He may be a good role model, but he's not my benchmark.  I'm happy to get out of a chair or off a toilet.  His goal is fitness.  Mine is independent functioning and injury prevention. 

I can swim in Maui and enjoy that.  But even in warm weather, putting on a bathing suit, getting down to the pool and opening the gate is an ordeal.  Then there is the required poolside shower, awkwardly getting into the pool, and enduring the stares of other swimmers.  I have to really want to go.  However, I discovered Skeeter to be an easier home–based exercise buddy.  She can't call 9-1-1, but she doesn't move when the battery power's off and she can keep my butt off the floor by providing a seat in case I fall backwards. 

In our garage, I can open the door, breathe in the fresh air, feel like I'm outside, and still be sheltered from the rain.  No need to get ready, since no one sees me and I don't go anywhere.  If it's cold, I'm used to putting on more clothes. Blissful solitude! Put some music on my iPhone and exercise doesn't seem like such a chore.

Warrior pose–sort of
Sally Field Boniva pose
Upright yoga postures customarily either require someone to hold me up or something to lean against.  Either way, it's laughable to watch someone with ataxia try.  Skeeter doesn't laugh, but the important thing to me is that she is inanimate, so I can't hurt her in a fall.

I have free weights upstairs but actually had to buy a pair to use in the garage.  It may seem duplicative and indulgent, but it's difficult to get down or up stairs carrying 2 five pound weights and remain upright and uninjured.  My friends suggested I do squats with weights to strengthen my quadricep muscles.  "OK", I thought, "I can do that." Another friend does "hovers" for her quad strengthening.  No matter the variation, the goal is the same—use it or never get out of a chair by yourself.
Squat or hover



Shoulders?


Combatting big butt
Combatting "Senior Hunch"
 My stretch band, serves as a butt, hamstring, and arm exercise aid.  As mentioned before, there is always the occurrence of the Senior Hunch**  to minimize.  I can hear my mother even now, "Watch your posture, Tam."


The lesson:  I do suck. But..oh well...

* Previous post: Speak the Speech

**Previous post: Dueling Walkers

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We have contact

Resume and Update

March On!